Assignment: Present a model and/or drawing for an original public sculpture or mural
Response: Homelessness is one of the biggest social challenges of the city of Winnipeg. In the almost three years I've been here I have seen what some organizations are doing to solve the problem and how many people don't even care or are disappointed money is spent in redeeming these "lazy" people. As hard as it is, I wanted to create a project that will help us identify their hardships. Here
I will place reused kitchen tables in various bus shelters in downtown winnipeg, more specifically on graham street one per shelter, full of party platters with food made entirely of felt. The strength oh this piece definitely relies in numbers.
As you approach the shelter your mouth will water, your tummy will rumble, anticipation will build, FREE LUNCH! FREE DINNER! just to be utterly disappointed and maybe curse at the world for your bad luck or the idiot who played this evil joke on you. And hopefully your eyes will meet with those of a homeless person and you will understand.
Here some links:
http://www.salvationarmy.ca/
www.mainstreetproject.ca/shelter.htm
http://www.siloam.ca/

No comments:
Post a Comment